Wednesday, April 4, 2018

I Blew Up a Crew Ride

Once again the OMTP came in contact with a crew ride.  Again a little alcohol started things off Friday evening.  Texting after I've had a few rarely results in a cohesive ride the next day.  Much to my surprise quite a few folks chimed in for what I'd billed as a Big East Loop.  I guess that was misleading since I had really planned to do a one hour race effort on the Tom Brown, Loblolly, Piney Z and Cadillac section, just using the loop to get down there and back.  Anyhoo.

Before we even got to the meeting point at Higher Ground Lil Ball was out, seems he just woke up, but Tim, Jim (shock), Silk (another shock), Catman, Dr. Sworks, and Postman were waiting for Blake and I when we pulled in.

Things Start to Unravel

Catman yells "Where're we going Norman?".

"Blairstone"

"Okay, turn on the gas line"

That was how it began.  I didn't explain my plan.  It got even more unorganized when it was every man for himself while we crossed four lane highways.  We looked like squirrels dodging cars.  There was a slight regroup at the bottom of Gun Range but I had to pee so everybody got ahead.  That was the last I saw of the group until I flatted and had to call Blake for a tool.

I flatted because I had to move off the trail for a bird watcher who refused to move over even a foot, picking up an old piece of fence in my rear tire.  The hole refused to seal and it was then I discovered I had left my multi tool at the truck.  Rookie move.

Blake, Postman, Jim, Dr. Sworks, and Catman came to my aid and some of us rolled back to Higher Ground together once I put in a tube (or rather Blake did it for me).

Sad

I am disappointed I didn't plan better, even though I got the prescribed ride in I missed some banter time with folks I don't see very often.  Damn I'm starting to sound like Apebike.  The ride was fun none the less.

ANF

"Weather pretty enough to raise the dead."  Catman came out with that, fitting since it was Easter Sunday.  And wow was it perfect.  The forest was green with ferns in the areas that had recently been burned.  I love this loop and went harder than the OMTP called for but it was too much fun to resist.

In the end it was a great three day weekend.  Once again I got to ride with my son, plus some people who have been non riders for a while.  The Lovely Wife and I topped it off with margaritas and pasta Sunday evening.  Work was hard to face Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment