Monday, April 30, 2018

Winder

SERC #4 GSC #3
Fort Yargo State Park, Winder Ga.
My favorite trail so far.

The weather was magnificent.  Warm and breezy for the pre ride on Saturday and cool to cold for the race on Sunday.  The event is held beside a lake making it even more beautiful. 

The first time I raced here was 2011, I can't wrap my mind around that being 7 years ago.  FB came up with one of those look back 5 year things and it was photos from this race.  It had rained, I got third in 50+ sport.  The guy who got second is dead now.  Blake got 5 in his age group, now he's getting 5th in Elites.  That kind of stuff happens when you get old.

Saturday

I'll admit to the drive to these races getting a little old.  Thank goodness The Lovely Wife still likes to go along.  There used to be a group from Tallahassee who went racing with us but they've all decided to do something else this year.

Anyhoo the practice lap was fun.  The woods green, the trail dry.  Blake got there later and did his own laps while I sat in the sun and watched the lake.  This is the kind of weather that makes me want a camper van.

Dinner was at our usual pre race establishment.  Blake asked if we ate the same thing here every time.  Yea, I guess we do.  Good room at the HIE.

Race Day

Clear and 50 degrees!  Blake's race went good.  He ran with the lead group eventually finishing 5th overall.  The leader is at another level and was way off the front.


I only had 4 in my class which was disappointing since we had 7 last year.  I had trouble clipping in off the start but still managed to get into the single track first.  I only had Stan go with me and was able to get past the Clyde's on the first hill, leaving him behind.  After that I just kept picking off riders and tried to keep my pace up.  Once again I had trouble focusing on the ride, still a lot of noise in my head.

I put in a good effort, I don't think I had much more in the tank.  Looking back from in front of this computer I think I could have gone another lap, just not at that pace.  Maybe.


In the End

I won by 3 minuets.  Beating my time from last year by :01:11, and averaging .29 miles per hour faster.  Is that good?  I didn't feel fast.  I didn't feel like my legs were generating much power, especially on the steep short climbs.  After all this was my "A" race for the first half of the series, it's as good as I get.  Plus I only got to race for 47 minuets, not really a good training ride. 

I know, I know, cat up and quit bitching.  I did enjoy the day.  I am gratefull to just be out here doing this, blah blah blah.  Stan bragged about the fact he didn't even train.  I like the training, but I was expecting maybe better results.


So for the next 12 weeks I'll keep up the work.  This weekend is a time trial on Saturday and the Dauset XC on Sunday.  Maybe I just need a little break in the racing?

No comments:

Post a Comment