Friday, July 6, 2018

Almost There

This is the end, my only friend the end. 

Both SERC and GSC final race is this weekend in Helen Ga.  It starts with a SERC short track Saturday evening with the combined XC race Sunday.  The way Gone Riding runs this is you have to finish this race to complete the season.  That makes it a little sketch.  I am in the lead in both series so all I need to do is finish.  But this is bike racing so I never know what might happen.

That being said I'm looking forward to this weekend.  I'm healthy and in good shape.  I haven't been on my race bike for almost a month due to repairs but I think I can adapt quickly. 

Speaking of those repairs it's gonna cost me $1000.  Add that to me buying a new bike (which I'm glad I did or I wouldn't have been riding this past month), this race, nats, and vacation, and you have a pretty big pile of money going out.  I have managed to sell a couple of bikes but they never bring the money I think they will.  These things are almost disposable, sad.

Then there's Blake's school, plus stuff that needs fixing at the house, not to mention my retirement.  Will it all work out?  We haven't gone hungry yet.

Nationals

We travel the following week to West Virginia.  I look forward to this with some trepidation.  Fortunately I have a better idea what I'll be up against than I did last year.  I believe I have better leg strength this year, however my tech skills are at about the same level.  I will be more focused on what I can ride and not worry about what I can't.  I will be happy with a top 10, but that will mean shaving 15 minutes off my time from last year.  That's a lofty goal.

Blake is riding three races.  He's in good shape and has a great bike under him.  He will be racing the best in the country.  I'm super proud of him for doing this work.  His diet is going great and he has a good attitude about all this. 

After

The Lovely Wife has the summer off and is looking for a different job.  

I'm considering doing the Florida XC series.

It will be hard not to follow a training plan for a couple of weeks.

I have a lot of stuff to do around the house after all this racing is over.

My training partner is having surgery to repair his gut.  He'll be out for a while.  I hope he can come back strong.

I'm looking forward to some time at the beach?

No comments:

Post a Comment