Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Another One Bites the Dust


It's over for another year.  I'm sad it's done but glad I did it.  I won't do the 60+ next year.  At least right now I'm saying that.  No one to race with makes winning not as fun.  It looks like I caused less guys to come out and ride and not more.

Blake had a stand out year.  Earning the #3 plate for next season in SERC.  Who knows if he'll be around to race the series.  I think he enjoyed it and I hope he carries good memories of us all going to the races together.  I'm lucky to do this with my son, so many fathers don't participate in the sport and just go watch the race.  I know it's not for everybody but I think they are missing out on something.

Short Track

We got to Helen at 2, sign up was slow, the track wasn't well marked, and it started raining at 2:30.  A gully washer as my Mom calls them.  For some reason Dave had my wave going first so I didn't even get to make a practice lap, nor did I get warmed up.  I didn't need the points anyway, in fact I don't know why I signed Blake and I up.  The only rider in my class forgot the start time and didn't even ride.

It was slick and messy, I just rode it for a warm up for the XC.  Blake struggled also.  We felt like it was too wet to make a lap of the XC course so we headed to the lodge.

The Lodge

Unicoi was having some issues that rainy Saturday afternoon.  We couldn't get checked in till 7.  We tried to go to downtown Helen to get a bite to eat.  What a huge mistake that was.  The place was a zoo.  So back to the tavern at the lodge we went.  At least they comped us for the drinks and meal.

Race Day

It was clear and cool when we got up.  Blake and I were glad we had decided to do our practice lap that morning.    It was still slick but not near as bad as the ST yesterday.  Somehow I managed to slip on the first hard climb and bust my ass.  Nothing damaged but my confidence.



Blake's race was stacked with pros getting ready for nationals.  He finished a respectable 9 out of 22.

I rode a good race, easily beating the 2 other riders in my class.  I was disappointed in my leg strength at the top of the steepest climbs.  My second lap was 3 minutes slower than my first.  But it was a fun course.  I lose time on the descents.  I just can't let go of the brakes.  The woods were dark and I was having trouble seeing.  I should practice before next season.

The Banquet

Not a big deal for me.  Blake was pumped for his first podiums in elites.  It was anti climatic as far as my racing was concerned.  I got some stuff.  Once again I was a little sad it was over.


I enjoy the lodge on the Sunday after it's all over.  Most folks are gone and we have the place almost to ourselves.  Blake and I watched UCI races on his lap top then went to the tavern for pizza.  It was a good day.

Nats

We leave this Sunday.  Weather looks grim.  I am less than pumped.  I'll be glad to not be doing these again next year.  I know better than to talk to my self like this but it's the place I'm in right now.  I will turn my head around before we go.  It's a lot of money to spend and not enjoy it.

If I can just take it moment by moment and not get caught up in the future thinking I'll be all right.  And sometimes if you expect the worst you end up having a great time.  See, that's the way to think!

No comments:

Post a Comment