Monday, August 13, 2018

The Spaces In Between

I stayed off a plan for a week then started feeling antsy.  So I went back to XC base.  I found out that the gym work in base is a lot harder than BPR.  I couldn't walk straight for a week.

As far as rides go I just did the prescribed times and rolled with whoever I was riding with wanted to do.  This worked pretty well.  I just needed a few harder rides sprinkled in there.  Though the ones that were hard were really hard.

The Santa Cruz is harder to ride fast than the Cannondale, duh.  It turns slower and spins up slower.  The suspension is just a little more plush but not much.  I imagine it goes downhill faster but I'd need to grow bigger balls to do that.

I do notice a drop in my confidence after nats.  That's weird since I figured I'd feel bullet proof.  Not so.  Fitness seems flat also but that's to be expected.  It's sooooo damn hot and humid it's hard to gauge anyway.

Looking Ahead

So Lynda prescribed going back to the 50 mile personal record plan to get ready for the Chain Buster 3 hour at the end of September.  Of course I plan to do the XC race in Tallahassee on the 15th.  Then it's the Dirty Spaghetti in October, followed by the XC race in Gainesville in November, and that should wind up my 2018 racing season.  Sigh.  Over so soon.

My internal debate about which class to ride has found an answer ( I think).  I'll do 60+ in these Florida XC races and then do 50 sport in SERC and GSC in 2019.  That is if I stay healthy.  Sure the extra lap is going to hurt but what the hell.  

New Things

Meditation and yoga.  I have dabbled in both before but this year I really tried to be consistent.  I wish I had done this earlier in life.  Even now I struggle to carve out time for yoga but when I do I wonder why I resist it so.

Anyhoo, I'm glad to have some kind of a direction as far as training goes.  I don't know why I need that structure but I do.

I've been fantasizing about retirement lately.  Thinking a van would be cool to travel in.  Haul the bikes, hike, maybe kayak.  We could take it to the races.  Only one problem, The Lovely Wife isn't sold on the idea yet.  I don't understand why she wouldn't want to listen to me rant while I drive?

..

No comments:

Post a Comment