Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Another Race Story

I finally got the guts to enter the 50+ sport class in the first race of the Florida State Series.  And guess what.  I had fun.

I had hoped for a top five finish, at least something mid pack.  After all it was my home track.  So this is how it went:

The Race


I had planned to sit in and see what the rest of the class had in store so I got off the line near the back.  After the water crossing on the multi use it seemed like we were out for a trail ride.  I saw a rider I'd raced with in SERC make a move so I followed him up to third.  Then I got to feeling froggy.

I made a move to get in front and the "gentlemen" in the lead just moved over and pushed me off the road.  Being just a little pissed I got by him just before we went into the single track.  And suddenly I was in first!

We managed to gap the field until he got around me at the dog water.  Then he slows down, way down.  The rest of the group catches up.  I am starting to wonder what's going on.

Second lap, I sprint to get in front of him after the start, stay there until he passes me again, then he crashes big time.  "Well that should be enough of that" I think.  But knowwww, I hear (in a Latino accent) "On your left", and around he goes.  Then he slows down.

The Clydesdale's start to catch us, I trade places with third in my class a couple of times, then first place crashes, again.  This time he holds up the clydes and the rest of us while he gets up off the trail and gets back on his bike.  I don't pass him again.  At the end of the second of three laps he puts in a real effort and drops me and third place.

I hold third back until half way through lap 3 then have to let him by.  HR was in a good place but I just wasn't making any power.

Anyoo, I was pleased with 3 out of 10.  If I can get to the point I can hold that pace for the whole race I should be in good shape in SERC.  Maybe not in winning shape but at least competitive.  And that's all I can ask.

Jack Rabbit

The 3 hour race in North Carolina is this weekend.  It's currently flooding up there right now.  I'm going anyway.  I'm not in the series so it's just for funzies.  Maybe it will drain off.

Then it's Dirty Spaghetti and one more XC race and I'm done for 2018 as far as racing goes anyway.

I'm thinking about hiring a personal trainer during my base season to try to get some more strength in my core and hips.  I do strength training but I'm never sure I'm doing it right.

Looking forward to some fall weather.  This has been the hottest September since 1945.

I'll see ya on the next page.


No comments:

Post a Comment