Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Now That'll Age You


I had just finished the XC race in Gainesville.  Not my best performance.  6/13, no power, heart rate not responding.  On my way home I felt like I had a fever.  When we were unloading I got the chills.  I had other symptoms but I won't go into detail here.


So it turns out I had a urinary tract infection.  Yes they are rare in men and yes I had had one 30 years ago.  Went to my GP and got some antibiotics and figured it would run it's course.  The evening of the next day, after forcing fluids all day, I suddenly couldn't pee.  Nope, not at all.  So to the emergency room we went.

In case you haven't experienced it a catheter is something you should avoid if at all possible.  But it was mandatory for me at the time.

Kept that bitch in for a couple of days then went to see a Urologist.  He said I should come in Friday morning and they'd take it out.  But I had to pee out the water that was in my bladder within 4 hours or they would put the catheter back in.  Talk about pressure.  I made it, but barely.

Thought I was on the road to recovery.  That lasted a week.  Back to see the Urologist on Friday, says my bladder is still full, wants to put the catheter back in.  "Nope" I say, "not gonna happen.  I'm going to a football game in Gainesville tomorrow."  He says "Well they have emergency rooms down there too."  Funny guy.  I went to the game anyway.

This is the FSU/UF game but you get the point

I had an appointment to get scoped on Monday morning already.  Doc said he'd just perform a "procedure" on me while I was out.  Said it should clear things right up.  Mentioned some possible side effects but acted like it was no big deal.  So they put me to sleep and I woke up fixed.

And I had another catheter in me.  Kept this fun thing for 3 days.  Went back, same deal as before, pulled it out (which is not near as bad as in but still not pleasant) and had to pee before 4:00 pm.

I never thought the sound of taking a piss would bring me to tears but it did.  Finally.  Doc said to stay off the bike and out of the gym for a week until my next appointment.  At that time he said to stay off the bike another 10 days and out of the gym another 5.  Sigh.

Anyhoo, that put me at 6 weeks off the bike.  The longest I've been off since THE CRASH.  I was angry, depressed, and scared.  Mainly because this type of stuff isn't supposed to happen to me.  I know in the grand scheme of things this is a little blip.  I am ashamed to say what a whimp I was (still am). 

It aged me.  Really it did.  I actually look older than I did before.  I gained a couple of pounds and lost any muscle tone I may have had.  But I'm back on the bike and back in the gym.

Our tradional Thanksgiving golf game.  See how old I look?

I wonder how many "comebacks" I have left in me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment