Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Fail

My favorite trail system.  It wasn't raining.  I felt good.  What could possibly go wrong.

GSC and SERC race, Winder Ga.  Fort Yargo State Park.  Cool and clear.  Saturday's practice lap went well.  The Lovely Wife didn't make the trip this time due to a stomach bug so I was solo.



Warm up on Sunday went good.  We had a big class with 11 50+ sports showing up.  At the whistle I did my planned one minute full gas off the line then settled into a race pace.  I was able to lead most of the first lap, getting passed by a local just before the scoring chicane.

Traffic was bad during that first lap with groups of 4 going much slower than I was.  I'd work hard to get a gap only to run into the back of these slower groups letting the chase group in my class catch back up.

Anyhoo, after getting passed by two I settled into third on the last lap, close behind second.  As we approached the first long up hill we got behind a slower rider, first and second got by quickly.  I knew we were going to cross a gas line with a metal bridge on the other side so I let the slower rider know I'd be going by on his right.  As soon as we cleared the trees I moved right, he didn't move, just accelerated.  Here's where I got stupider.  Instead of just backing off I tried to go around him right before the bridge, not picking up on the rear tire when it hit the metal edge.  Burp!

The tire didn't go completely flat, just squishy.  I pulled over, tried to hit it with CO2, wouldn't inflate.  See, I knew the valve core was sticking, had been all week.  But it wouldn't have made any difference because as I learned later, the inflator was out.  So I was screwed.  I could feel the tire wobble and squirm on every corner and bottom on every root.

I watched as my season went down the drain, all for the sake of a CO2 cartridge.  Finishing 8 out of 11.  I could only be upset with myself.

Not About Racing

Well, maybe just a little.  I skipped the race at Dauset the following weekend due to a major life event.  

Which was, Blake graduating from UF!  It was a moment I had been looking forward to ever since he told me he had been accepted.  I expected it to be more emotional but it went off quickly.  It was a challenge getting Mom at 87 into the Oconnell Center.  Tim (my brother) went also.  The Lovely Wife almost missed him walking across the stage trying to take a picture.  I was clapping and just caught a him for a brief moment, then it was over.


It seems like it was just yesterday we watched him pedal off after dropping him off at his dorm 5 years ago.  We had quite a few "talk him off the ledge" phone calls.  It wasn't easy for him by any means.

To say we are proud of him would be an understatement.  He has been great kid and has turned into a fine man.  He starts a job with H2 in Tallahassee in June.  It wasn't his first pick of places to live but it will turn out to be the best thing for him.  I'm looking forward to seeing where he goes in life.

I am truly a lucky man.

No comments:

Post a Comment