Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Long Weekend


I was able to feed my bicycle addiction over the long holiday weekend. Saturday morning I got up early and was at the Munson trail head by 7:15. My goal was to do at least 25 miles and be back at the house before noon and I was able to accomplish both.


Does it ever rain on Munson? Parts of the trail were like beach sand. The feds have done a good job on the trail reconstruction even though I miss some of the sections they took out. Twilight has some new reroutes that have only been mowed and flagged and they were a little soft and hard to follow but it'll pack in.


I was almost finished with my loop when I ran into Wheeldeal and a friend at the soon to be demolished kiosk. He's the only person I've met who actually reads this blog and I was very flattered that he took the time. After telling me he enjoyed reading it he added "of course I'm not going to spend time out of my life reading about yours" which I thought was very prophetic. I enjoy reading other blogs and I had to wonder why do I like to read about other peoples lives?


Sunday we joined the TMBA group for a beginner/intermediate trail ride on the Miccosukee Greenway. I was a little apprehensive about taking the fam for their first group ride as I wasn't sure how accepting the group would be of our varied skill levels but as it turned out it wasn't a problem. Everybody was very cordial and even though some of us had trouble keeping up nobody complained. I was surprised how well some of the "beginners" could keep a pace. The Greenway was more of an off road road ride, not much single track and quite a few long hills but still a nice ride. The 15 miles we rode took a little over 2 hours. Rupe had the only spill I got to see as he neglected to unclip from both pedals and of course fell to the clipped in side; right in front of the whole group. I could see the look on his face as he realized he was going down. Nothing hurt but his pride. We ate lunch at Los Amigos on the porch under the speaker blaring modern country music "fangs, fur, and hot country" my gosh who listens to that crap?


I was looking forward to a relaxing Sunday afternoon which became completely impossible when the fire pager went off and I spent 3 hours at a structure fire. We managed to save most of the house. We've really improved, 5 years ago we would have probably lost the whole thing.


Monday I woke up at 5:00 and decided to hit Root Bug and explore the trails on the Overstreet side. I love a good cup of coffee on my way to a ride but my early morning glow was dimmed when I realized I had left my MP3 on the charger at the house and hadn't charged my Garmin. After my initial aggravation subsided I got into the rhythm of the ride and didn't miss either toy.


After the ride, as I was loading up, a couple was making their way towards the Red Bug trail head tentatively trying to decide where they should enter. They appeared to be new to the sport and it looked like their first time on the Bug. I hope they had a good ride, that place could be rough on true beginners.

No comments:

Post a Comment