Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Time Trial


I don't want to make this bicycle thing into something competitive but I thought I'd give the Munson time trial a shot just to see how an old man can do against a group of (much younger)guys that ride and race a lot. TMBA had a tent and clocks set up at the benches, you gave them your dollar and they set you up to go in 1 minute intervals based on how fast they thought you were, I was slotted last with only the guy running the TT behind me. For some reason I was nervous at the start, I mean it's just for fun but still.


After starting dirt bike races the quiet after he said "go" was unnerving. I started off in too low a gear and ended up shifting like crazy for the first 100 yards. Trying to ride fast at Munson made everything look different as I missed corners and had to get hard on the brakes for unexpected trail twists. About 10 minute in I began to feel like I needed to burp which turned into feeling like I wanted to puke. Why does the bike do that (I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with that burrito I had for lunch)? It took another 10 minutes for that to go away but I was panting like a dog on a hot day.


I didn't finish with the slowest time which was like winning for me. I don't see how those guys go so fast. I did win the award (only in my mind) for being the oldest rider which isn't unusual.


I'll do it again, it was fun, and I enjoy the challenge. I got a tip after the ride that I should try using the big ring at Munson so next time maybe I can cut a little time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment