Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Is It Just Me?



I don't corner very well. Even Rupe leans it over with more grace than I do. I keep wanting to stick my leg out like you do on a dirt bike which doesn't work well with clip less pedals. In my defense nobody ever really taught me how to turn a MTB. I watch other riders and read all the articles in the magazines but I still find myself at least a bike length farther back at the exit than I was at the entrance. I keep thinking there must be some kind of a secret that nobody's telling me about.


After a weekend off the bike so I could catch up on my yard work (wouldn't want it to look like a homeless person lived there would I BJS?) I attended the first Munson Monday of the spring. It felt so good to be able to ride without lights. The group was not my regular crew but I was feeling froggy and was looking forward to a little bit of a beat down. I wasn't disappointed. Since there were some new riders with us that looked like they belonged on the FSU cycling team, it became apparent that some of the boys had to establish who was the alpha dog. I watched from the back as they disappeared. When I finally caught up at the stop they all acted like it was just a cruise but I knew better. It was on this ride that I had the revelation regarding my inability to corner. I noticed most of the riders ahead of me (which was all of them) continued pedaling through most corners whereas I would coast. I keep wanting to set it up like a moto turn, plus I'm a little skittish of hitting the pedals on the inside of the turn. When I did pedal through the turn I seemed to lose a little less ground on the exit but I had trouble deciding which turns I could do like this. Am I just retarded or what?






Rupe had elected to sit this ride out and I hate to admit it but it was relaxing not having him along for a change. I know, I know I shouldn't be like that but I still worry about him on rides; even though he should be worrying about me. Don't get me wrong I am overjoyed to have my son ride with us but every now and then it's fun to just have myself to worry about. Besides watching him fade into the distance like every body else gets a little depressing.

3 comments:

  1. David, cornering has always been my weak link. I have gotten more advice and read more articles on the subject than I can shake a stick at, but alas I still stink at it. If I can sprint well it is out of necessity. I usually get dropped in corners and have to sprint out of it to catch up. At this point I have given up ever believing I'll get any better at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BJS is full of BS. He corners considerably better than he did just a few short years ago. Something happened on our trip to Ellijay and Brevard last year. It was like a switch finally flipped, and I ran down those trails like a scared cat, trying to keep him from running over my tail. I'm stoked to see him improve, but at the same time, my experience was the only thing I had to keep him at bay. I'll be glad to help, just remind me. We'll go out and play the no-brakes game. It's mostly about learning to trust your tires, and trial and error will tell you what you can pedal through. As long as you don't drastically over commit, clipping a pedal is usually a minor irritation, and not disastrous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Through time and crashes you will find your cornering.

    ReplyDelete