Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Six Days



I know cycling off road for 6 days in a row isn't any big deal. The longest ride was 2.4 hours with BJS and Rupe last Saturday and the shortest was the hour and 15 minute ride last night at TB with the crew. The week also included a family ride at a very sedate pace and a Felt test ride where I thought I had to pedal at race pace the whole time to get the most out of the different bikes I was riding. It must be wearing me down though.


Last night I was trying to stay with Lil Ball on his single speed when all of the sudden my legs just said "enough" and try as I might I couldn't make them continue to push. But that didn't bother me until I looked over my shoulder to see Rupe and DB catching me. I forgot all about Lil Ball who had already gotten out of sight and started marking their progress. Much to my dismay they were gaining on me. DB is so far above my skill level he could have caught me on a big wheel but Rupe catching me from behind is a different story (later Rupe told me DB said "let's catch your dad"). I commenced to trying to get my already dead legs to do something; snot and sweat started running down my face as I tried to reach the dog fountain at the MOAPG before I was overtaken. I made it but not by much. I tried to control my breathing so it wouldn't seem like I had been working but I still sounded like a cat choking on a hairball. Anyhoo that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it; 6 days in a row is too much for an old man.


Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Rupe his new found speed. I'm proud of his performance and glad he enjoys cycling. It's my performance that's sometimes frustrating. It seems like just last week he was having a melt down on that very same trail because he couldn't even climb the hills.


I did find out I love bike demo days. I really like the way the Higher Ground crew runs them. Having someone hand you a carbon fibre bike to ride one after the other in all kinds of different configurations isn't a bad way to spend a cloudy Sunday afternoon. With me these kind of things usually end with me wanting whatever expensive model they have. This time was no different as the Felt Edict has gone to the top of my never ending want list. I know an old base rider on a full carbon frame doesn't make much sense but then what about cycling and our toys does?


Oh, we made the right call on the GSC race last Saturday. It rained all night, quit right before the start, and turned cold. I hear bikes were ruined. Not my idea of a fun ride.
Picture not from the GSC race but good none the less

2 comments:

  1. I've ridden my bike twice in the last 13 days. The last ride being with you. I'm bummed. Just when I feel my fitness and skill level have improved something seems to jump in the way to derail it. I guess it is what it is. Sounds like you need a rest day off the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that bike too. My problem is I can't decide what I want to ride. Too many choices.

    ReplyDelete