Monday, June 27, 2011

Georgia Fools Prep Ride











It was just the right distance, I only got turned around twice, it wasn't unbearably hot, and the company was entertaining. It wasn't even muddy! The Fools Gold Prep ride last Saturday went pretty well if I do say so myself. I'm sorry more folks couldn't make it but I understand. The route and terrain were an unknown plus I didn't give much notice. I'm not very fluid on the social networking sites and took my Faccy Book invite system instructions over the phone. So I might have left a few people out that I meant to invite; sorry.







Anyhoo Big Worm and the always amazing BJS honored me with their presence. We met at the Subway in beautiful downtown Havana at 8:00 am and proceeded to my super secret hunting lease (no, I don't hunt anymore) which is just North of town. I was excited about the route I had mapped out on Google Earth and was eager to share it with somebody. I figured we could get 40 miles out of it and only use about 12 miles of pavement. Some of the route was used in the Tour of Amsterdam but most of it had never been ridden before. We rolled out of the parking spot onto mowed rolling two track roads and made a loop of the lease. There are some pretty good hills on the lease and I had my heart rate up before having to bushwhack a little to get to the first paved section.




A nice country lane, .5 miles of US 27, another winding black top, and back into the woods at the Georgia state line. At the first gate I offered to unlock it but BW just chucked his bike over and started climbing, BJS followed suit while I went around. This little show was repeated every time we came to a gate or a tree down across the trail. It was almost a little competition to see who could get around or over the quickest without getting off the bike. Naturally I lost every time and had to ride hard just to catch up.






















A climb across a blown out culvert (yes they played the little game) and a steady up hill grade took us across the tract known as Booger Bay. We then picked up a county graded road, turned onto some more two track which ran next to one of the many ponds on the property. Out onto old 27, a short sprint on new 27, and back in the woods.








At mile 19 we stopped for a snack next to a corn field which other than the above mentioned gates was the first time we had stopped. After a twisty fire line trail we came out on a two tract road at mile 23 and we had a decision to make. Should we take the North loop which was another 6 miles, or head toward the cabin and water. BW only had 1/4 bottle left so we headed for the cabin which we hit right at 25 miles. Exactly as I had planned.


























I was having a great ride. It's not the kind of trail that makes you go weeeeeeee around every corner but it's still a good ride. I like to see something different every now and then, plus I'm beginning to like to do longer rides. But I don't like riding around in circles doing laps of the same trail.







After watering up we turned it South, made it back to the trucks, and with a little lap around the lake ended up with 40 miles. Again, just as I had planned.








BJS won the yellow sign game, BW came in second and yes, I was shut out. Such is the awesome talent of the people I ride with. I went home, took a shower, gathered up the fam, and headed to Tallahassee. At the shop it was like coming into the little bar where everybody knows your name. It was almost standing room only and the B. S. was deep. My beautifull bride has wanted a new bike for a while and she's shopped it to death so we finally pulled the trigger, she's happy. I finally got some tacos from Tijuana Flats which, except for the Cliff bar at lunch, was the only thing I had eaten since breakfast.




What a great day! I knew my Sunday was going to be rough so it was good to have such a day. They don't always work out like that. But it was just as I had planned.






















2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed. You ARE awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a fun ride. I look forward to more of these adventures.

    ReplyDelete