Monday, June 6, 2011

The Rules

Since I'm relatively new to cycling I've had to learn the basic etiquette of riding with a group. Mind you every group has a different set of rules so the learning curve has been steep for me. Mountain Biking, I assume, has less rules than road riding but that's not to say it isn't without some guidelines.
Since I'm so easy to get along with and constantly worry about offending my fellow riders I have kept mental notes of the times I have made certain transgressions while riding on different rides. I can think of 10 of them that I've learned in just the past 2 weeks in no particular order. This is for fun so please don't take any of this personal. I'm just KIDDING! Gosh some of you are sooooooo sensitive.







1. I don't get to say where we go or how fast we go.




2. If I'm more than 2 minuets late to the trail head I'll get left. Unless someone who is a long standing member of the group is also late then they wait till he gets there.




3. If the rider in front of you drops their water bottle, stop and pick it up for them. Even if they have been hammering your ass for the last 5 miles. It's not polite to holler at them and then ride by as they turn around (they will give you a dirty look as they go past).




4. Don't correct inconsiderate riders who cut the trail, then pull out in front of slower riders. They will just ignore you and keep on being rude.




5. Some rides have post ride beers, some do not. Some rides are more about the post ride than the ride. That's not a problem I just like to know before I go so I remember to bring some beer.




6. Some people like to talk while they ride, others don't. It's getting easier for me to tell them apart.




7. For a few folks it's a race from the time you leave the trail head and I don't mean just riding hard.


8. Some people will jump out in front of you on a group ride after every rest stop, even though you have to pass them almost immediately when you get going again.




9. You should not ask the riders in front of you on the line in a race if they'll let you squeeze in. I did once and got chastised for it.



10. 98% of the people who ride mountain bikes are the nicest folks I've ever met.





You'd think that since I'm a little older than most of the people I ride with that they'd cut me some slack. Not a chance. In fact, even after learning all of the above, I still seem to be the brunt of more than a few long running jokes. Riders I don't even know very well picked at me just last weekend about my inability to clear certain sections of trail and this "traitor" theme has gotten a life of it's own.






Anyhoo we rode TB Saturday on the SS's, then FM on Sunday with the Green Bean crew, I did Munson Monday again on the SS, and tonight is the Higher Ground ride. I'll hit the gym tomorrow to work on my already awesome upper body. Then we plan to do a little technical riding Thursday which should have a horrible effect on my self esteem. I know it's a tough life but hey what can ya do?












2 comments:

  1. That was awesome! I love watching the new guys learn the unwritten rules. The rules duck and doge, swerve and sway, and as soon as you think you've got them all down, they mutate again. Terry and I came from skateboarding and surfing, where we had been through all of this before, so it was just more of the same.

    You and Blake are great additions to the crew, and while I may give you more than a little grief, it's just what I do. Ask Jim, he'll confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that you are the Celine Dion of MTBing. Something about being a diva.

    ReplyDelete