Monday, May 30, 2011

Dauset

In all my years of racing I've never won a bottle of champagne. I haven't tried this yet to see how it tastes but I don't imagine it's very good. But that's not the point is it? This past weekend was the South Eastern Regional Championship (SERC) race in Dauset Ga. And yes I won the slow old man class. The trail was rockier than the other two rounds I'd ridden, more technical, and not quite as fun.





It was hot. 96 degrees when we finished at 10:30. So hot that 3rd place didn't even show up for the podium deal. The only guy who doesn't look like he shouldn't be in a nursing home is the guy in second.

















B got a poor start and finished 7th out of 15 in his class. They started behind us this time and the top 3 caught me before the finish, fast class.









Speaking of the start, it was narrow, on pavement, down hill at first, and then onto fresh gravel. I knew I wanted to get on the front line with 14 in our class. It was then I may have made a cycling faux pas. I politely asked the two guys who had just jumped in front of me if they were racing the series, to which they responded they were not. "If not", I said"would you mind letting me in front with you since he(here I point to the guy next to them, Rob, who's first in the series ahead of me) and I are racing for points". I didn't mean for the whole line to hear this and it must have sounded like I thought I was special (which of course I am but they didn't know it, yet) because one of their friends at the other end of the row said something along the lines of "yea, you two go out hard, I like seeing guys like you blow up as I go by". Turns out at least 5 of the guys in the front row were locals, only riding this one race, and didn't take kindly to me asking for a little courtesy.
One of them did move over for which I thanked him profusely. The whistle blew and we were off. I hit the woods third behind, you guessed it, two of the locals. As soon as we got onto the single track they sat up. What the hell? I tried a couple of times to get around but it was tight so I just fell in behind them. At least I wasn't burning much energy. I suddenly remembered a place to pass I had scouted out in practice the day before just after a bridge that was coming up. As soon as we crossed the bridge I stood on the pedals, only to be pushed off the edge of the trail into a rut, then into a tree, then the dog pile started. After taking a handle bar in the side and piling up every body behind me (bet they were glad they let me in front now huh?) I managed to get going in 6th. I could see the points draining away as Rob was now 2 places in front of me.








With the adrenaline pumping I passed the two in front of me at the same time using an old moto move. I was right behind Rob and he was on 3rd's wheel. Then I got lucky as Rob clipped a tree, went "oofhhhh", and rolled off the trail. I hollerd "you ok?" but didn't take the time to stop. He got back in right behind me. He and I had talked about the first little rock climb earlier. We had both cleared it and had even discussed which lines we were going to use. It was coming up. I had about had it with blue shirt and creaky seat in front of me. Every time I made a move they moved over. When we got to the rocks they both stood up, one went in one line, one took the other, and they stopped. I could hear Rob behind me "@#%& guys!". We all piled up again.





Now during the previous week Wrecking Ball had showed me how to do a cycle cross dismount and remount. So I grabbed my bike, ran to the top of the hill (really more like a mound), elbowed 2nd place out of the way, jumped on my bike just like WB had showed me, but couldn't find the pedals. 2nd pushed back by me. I was pissed. The first opening creaky seat (2nd place) gave me I went inside, hit the brakes, and did a SteveA* on him. 1st must have heard the commotion behind him and didn't put up much of a fight.








I managed to put a little gap on Rob who had followed me around blue shirt and creaky seat. The rest of the race was fairly uneventful except for some guy in one of the classes in front of me who must not speak English since I must have asked him 5 times for a little room. I had to SteveA him also.




That's blue shirt checking out a kid in B's class before the start.



The only other excitment was close to the finish as a red and white jersey was all of the sudden catching me. Rob's jersey! When the rider got behind me I started to ride a little wide thinking if he wasn't in my class he'd ask to pass, but he never said a word. When we got into the clearing before the finish I could hear Rob's friends yelling "go,go!". I came out of the seat and made it through the scoring chute in front of him. Turns out it was Rob's son (next to B in the picture above) and they both wear the same jersey.







I worked for this one. Was it fun? In a way. I don't look forward to the sport class which did 2 laps in that heat. I hope the locals forgive me but it's a RACE! Oh, and I never saw the guy who said he was going to pass me after I blew up. See, told ya I'm special.






I am fixing to go into the kitchen and get that bottle of champagne out of the fridge and try a little bit, maybe more than a little if it's any good.




*The SteveA is a take out move where you take the inside line away from the guy in front of you, hit the brakes, almost take his front wheel out, then laugh about it so they can hear you.



















1 comment:

  1. That was awesome! Thanks for the story, Dave! I know exactly the hill you were speaking of, and you're right, it's not much more than a mound, but if you blow the line...

    Congrats on another win, and I'm a little bummed that you didn't care for the course. You'll have to go back up there with me, and I'll show you the fun way to run it!

    ReplyDelete