Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The SS







No, not that kind of SS. I'm talking about single speed bicycles. Still, I like the Nazi Zombie look. Oh, and if you Google Nazi SS, you'll get some very disturbing images.












It all started when the Worm lent us his Voodoo and we were able to borrow a Niner from Higher Ground. Both single speeds, both fun. I had to have one. Of course as long as B is in the house I would never get any peace if I just bought one so using the "found money" from the sale of the dirt bike I bought 2. I know that's a little extravagant but I'm at the stage in my life where I am acutely aware of how quickly time passes. I know that's a weak rationalization for buying two bikes but just you try to get through the day without a juicy rationalization. Anyhoo that's a topic for another time, back to the new SSs.








They are both Specilized Rockhoppers, normally a geared bike, 29" wheels, and hard tails. The shop converted them to SS for us and even though they are a little heavy they're still fun. If you already have a SS you already know how different they are from a geared bike. They are quiet, no chain slap, the big wheels help a little with not having a rear shock (well that may be a stretch), and not having gears makes the ride both challenging and relaxing at the same time. They are a perfect bike for rides to the restaurant on Friday nights, fam rides, beginner rides, and solo rides when I just want to poke along and enjoy the woods. I've found that SS riders are like vegetarians, if there's one in the crowd all you have to do is wait and they'll let you know that they're there. Now I kinda understand why.















I'm getting to like the way my shop looks now. I think I have room for a couple more. By the way I have a huge dog, a security system, and a retired cop for a neighbor so be forewarned. Not that the 5 people who read this would do anything like that but you never know.









Oh, and by they way, did you happen to notice all the trophies discreetly placed in the photos? No? Well here's a better look. Just don't focus on the dates. Yes, I was a legend in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment