Monday, June 13, 2011

Oh Yea, That's What I'm Talkin About!







I know it's a little hard to read, I can get you a better copy if you're interested, I've got quite a few of them. It's funny, I raced moto for years, won state championships in my classes, and never even got a mention in any mainstream media. But win a couple of bike races and I get this in the Tallahassee Democrat. Of course, instead of heartfelt congratulations all I get from my crew is "why did they write about you?". Do they really have to ask? Apparently a 55 year old man racing bicycles is news?






I am now aware of how few people actually read newspapers anymore. Only one cyclist (thanks Jim) called to rib me about it. However my neighbor yelled "congratulations!", a couple walking in my neighborhood asked for an autograph, and when B took up collection in church Sunday one of the members stuck a copy of the article in the collection plate for him to give to me. I just hope "my nemesis" Robert Ham, doesn't read this, I don't want to give him any excuses to get stronger. I'm was just kidding Robert! And yea the picture sucks.



The TMBA (Tallahassee Mountain Bike Association) had their summer social this past Sunday and I found another beer that I like, PBR! Thanks to Todd from Higher Ground for providing me 3 cold ones.



We gathered at the BMX tract and rode for a little while then sat down to enjoy burgers and dogs. It looked like about 40 people enjoyed the summer evening. Terry was a hoot in the bull ring, they should pay him just to show up. The ride back to the truck with a little buzz was a good way to end the weekend.



B and I are racing the Columbus round of the GSC this weekend. It's going to be 99 degrees so I expect some riders in my class to have a few problems with the heat. Old guys and hot weather don't go together. I feel like I am fairly acclimated to it. I really shouldn't have said anything, watch, it'll be me that falls out. I have a race strategy in mind but I'm open to adjustments after we take a look at the trail on Saturday. I'm starting to get kinda nervous after all this publicity.










At the social there was a lot of talk about the Fool's Gold race this August in Dahlonega Ga. Sounds like they'll be a big group going if everybody who's talking about it actually goes. It's on my list but I'm going to wait until the week before to enter. I've seen the pictures from last years event after it flooded and I want no part of that.



I'll have another thrilling race report next week.


Thanks for the "diva" tag Benny. I know you read this.







































2 comments:

  1. Nice work. They have worked out an alternate route FG in case it rains so last year won't happen again. It would be all FS roads but those are still pretty fun to bomb.

    ReplyDelete