Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hell's Trails

The first lap is always scary. Steep drop offs, short runs to climbs with little lips at the top, and rocks every where. Hailes Trails outside of Gainesville is not my cup of tea. B loves this type of technical riding so we picked up PP and PJ on a cool (finally) breezy Saturday morning and headed South. You would have thought it was 30 below by the coat PJ had on. I mean really, this guy's from the great white North and he's wearing a parka suitable for snow.


As we turned in the gate to Hailes I could hear the roar of the moto tribe next door as they practiced on Gatorback. Just hearing it made me nervous. I had first ridden that track way back in 1974. Back then we turned in the gate in a green Ford van with green shag carpeting listening to Grand Funk "We're an American Band" on the 8 track. It's hard to believe that 37 years later I'm still torturing myself on these rocks.


Anyhoo, back in 2011, it was what you'd call a perfect day weather wise as we unloaded the bicycles. B and PJ took off in front of PP and I. I knew when PP unclipped and walked the first downhill we were in for a long lap. It went like that for the next 45 minutes. Either she walked a section or I did. On the next lap things went better. I got to see PJ do a little endo in a section I had been walking and I was able to clear most of the stuff I'd walked over the first lap. When we got back to the EZ-up some more of the Tallahassee crowd had arrived. Gone Riding had set up the sound system, the temperature was 70 degrees, someone popped open a beer, the songs were something I liked, so I just sat in my chair, and enjoyed the afternoon. I wish days like this would last just a little longer.


Sunday we met BW at the Lines Tract trails over on Lake Talquin for a spirited 18 mile ride. I keep saying this but it bears repeating. This is a fun trail system. Not to mention scenic. There's even a fish camp restaurant within riding distance right on the lake. TMBA camped here a couple of years ago and I suggest we do it again.



Fall is finally here. So many places to ride before the holidays get here and swallow up time. I have a friend that says the best time of the year is ruined by Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm not quite that cynical (yet) but I'm getting closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment