Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Mature Rider

That's what I ought to call the blog. I'd read blogs from other mature riders (if I could find some). I search magazines for articles on training and diet for older....., well what should I call us, older athletes just doesn't sound right. Older riders only covers some of us. How about active older people? Nah, that's really lame. Ok, how does mature active person sound (M. A. P.)? There are magazines dedicated to MAPs but I've found them to be uninteresting (Geezer Jock comes to mind). My regular cycling magazines have articles on diet and training but rarely focus on the MAP. Hey, we have special needs. Don't giggle.



Rarely do I see articles showing somebody who is older than 30 doing the prescribed exercise. I know most readers don't want to look at shriveled up old farts doing push ups but there is a segment of customers who would like to know that people over 45 can and should be doing this kind of stuff. I just finished reading about the Governor of New Mexico, he's 55 and just finished his third Iron Man. He's also an avid mountain biker having done the Leadville 100 this year and finished. Then there's Ned Overend who continues to trounce riders 20 years younger than him in the XC nationals. How do these guys prepare? What mistakes have they made?


Seriously, I think this is an overlooked demographic. We (MAPs) have a little more disposable income at this stage in our lives. For some the kids are out of the house so they have more time. Cycling is the perfect sport for MAPs. Once you get over the initial learning curve and build up some fitness you should be able to do it for years (at least I hope so).


Take the 50+ expert class in the Gone Riding races. Those guys have to be dedicated. I wonder what their training regime is. I'm pretty sure you don't train the same at 55 as you did at 25. I need to find a coach who specializes in MAP training. I wouldn't necessarily do what they said but it would be interesting to know what I was missing.


That's another question that often pops into my head. How much am I willing to give up to improve my riding? How about you? I could stand to lose 5 pounds. Should I give up beer? I already eat very few sweets but I love potato chips. Oh and fries. And Mexican food. Vodka, well of course. Nutter Butters, but they give those out at the Tour de Felasco so they must be ok. See what I mean? That's just the diet; how about the extra hours I should be on the bike? This doesn't even begin to cover my immense lack of skills. Would it all be worth it to have the chance to beat SteveA? Then, on the off chance I started getting on the podium, I would just get promoted to the expert class. That would mean another lap at the races.

Is it even possible to improve very much once you pass 50? Or am I just titling at windmills.

Oh the heck with this, I'm going to get another beer and watch Mad Men on the DVR.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! One of your better rants. The struggle between structure and fun is timeless. We all experience it, some of us, several times a year! As for age specific training, I know bits and pieces, but nothing in depth. Check out Joe Friel's books. He wrote/writes The Cyclist's Training Bible. He has one specifically for mountain biking, now. I have an older version that centers more around the road, but the training principles are still sound. I seem to remember that he had a whole chapter dedicated to Master's athletes. You're welcome to borrow it, anytime.

    Also research, Steve Tilford, Paul Curley, and maybe for entertainment's sake, Gunnar Shogren. These are all older bike racers who still throw down, offroad and on.

    ReplyDelete