Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Day I Almost Killed Big Jim

It started like most days start that involve a certain amount of tragedy.  Clear and cool for the time of year, but nothing really out of the ordinary.  It was Silk's 40th birthday and we were riding to Thomasville Ga. from Tallahassee on the road.  A small group assembled at Zone 5 at 9:00 am, little did we know how the day would end.

Big Worm, Lil Chris, B, Silk, BJ (Big Jim), and I rolled an easy pace through the maze that is Killearn.  We picked up Lil Ball and Chad at Bradley's Country Store and the yellow sign game started.  Oh, you don't know what that is?  This group has had a tradition (if you want to call it that) of sprinting to yellow signs, you know, street signs with a yellow back ground.  Not only those but city limit and state line signs, these count even more.  That's where the trouble started.

In the beginning I was content to not go for any signs.  These Silk rides tend to offer more challenges than are originally stated so I held some energy back.  But not BJ, oh no, he's out of the saddle on every sprint, picking up the pace when he's in front, and riding out in the wind when he's not.  I mean the guys an animal, I suspect horse steroids, really, have you seen his calves?

Anyhoo, as we approach the town of Micosukee (sp?) Lil Ball slides up next to me and whispers "the city limits sign is just around the corner, go for it".  I should have been suspicious, he is rarely nice to me.  But, like an old fool I start to sprint from the back, going around BJ and Big Worm who are watching each others legs to see who jumps first.  "Ha, got the jump!" I think to myself.  It is at this time that my limited roadie training and my extensive moto racing experience converge, and not in a good way, at least not for BJ.

Let me explain, in moto if you're in front you "own" the line.  In other words you are allowed to drift to the inside and cut off your opponent..  Now he can always ram you but it is good practice to just shut off.  So, since I began the sprint on the outside toward the center of the road when I heard someone on my right jump, I naturally just moved over to my right.  I can remember thinking "I'll just cut this guy off".  All you roadies just let out a collective gasp didn't you?

Big Worm had been telling me I needed to get used to being "bumped" on a road bike, so when I felt a sweaty arm up against my right arm I assumed I was getting "bumped" and just pushed back, all the while continuing to drift toward the edge of the road.

Apparently in cycling this move is frowned upon, and not expected.  I heard "David, oh shit!" and looked to my right just in time to see BJ leave the road headed toward the ditch.  I watched in horror as BJ lept a culvert, dodged a mail box, and ducked a speed limit sign (I've been telling you this guy is awesome haven't I?), finally bringing his bike to a stop.  I hollered an apology but kept on going.  Why, you may ask?  Two reasons: 1. I thought he might beat my ass, 2. I still wanted to get the sign.

As Lil Ball said afterwards "hey, a win's a win". 

                                                       Yea, now who's your daddy?



2 comments: