Thursday, May 3, 2012

In and Around the Lake

Santa from last weeks race got the hole shot and I was determined to not let him get away.  I settled in behind him after elbowing two other old men off his wheel before we hit the first section of single track.  It was 86 degrees and dry in Winder Ga. last weekend.  The second race of the Gone Riding Georgia State Series was held at Ft. Yargo State Park on it's fantastic 10.5 miles of single track.  And I was determined not to just trail ride on the first lap like I did at Conyers the week before.

On a look back over my shoulder I could see 5 of us in our lead group but the pace was not punishing so I figured every body was content to let Santa pull for a while.  I was forcing myself to drink whenever we hit an open spot, which wasn't very often.  I noticed Santa never took a swig and figured this wouldn't work out so well for him if he didn't stay hydrated.  He made his first mistake at the only rock section, almost going down and taking me with him, but in good Santa fashion he apologised.  Not long after that I eased by him but so did Mr. Fully Rigid Single Speed (FRSS) who also passed me in the process.

When we hit the feed zone at the end of our first lap we were still in a tight group.  Ham, my nemesis from last year's series, taunted me as he got around when I went for a fresh bottle.  I dumped cold water on my head which seemed to rejuvenate me so I stood up, passed Ham back, and caught up to FRSS.

All of the sudden feeling froggy I passed FRSS on the only open section, hoping to put two riders from another class between us as I did it.  It worked but only until we got to the long hill.  I still don't know how that guy climbs so good on a single speed.  He said "let's work together" but I could tell I had burned my matches so I watched him slowly pull away.  I always encourage riders when they pass me.  Even if they're in my class.  I don't hold them up unless they have earned a little dose of rolling chicane due to previously being impolite.  It's just the kind of guy I am.

Anyhoo, the Clydesdale rider who had just moved up to my class and had gotten third the week before, was on my wheel.  He seems to finish strong, maybe I should buy him a box of donuts.  Now I was in third.

With 5 miles to go I started to feel like puking.  I could see another rider from my class behind me, even though he was a ways back.  I thought "if you want it you can have it", I'm such a loser.  I could hear a rider breathing hard behind me.  He gasps "not in your class man".  I let him by and sneak a look over my shoulder, no one there.

Since I almost got nipped at the line at Conyers I tried to keep focused and managed to cross the line in third.  My first sport podium.  Yes, I am awesome.

The kid met me at the finish with a big goofy grin on his face.  You never get tired of seeing your kids smile.  At 16 they seem to come less and less.  He had gotten 2nd and was full of race stories.  If you know him you know how strange it was to hear him.  He doesn't believe me but I was happier for his success than mine.  And yes, I think that 3rd in the 50+ sport class is somewhat a success.

4 comments:

  1. Nice write up and that's a great picture of you coming out of the woods. Poor Santa. He's gonna leave you some coal in your stocking this year for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, to see you AND Blake doing so well!

    ReplyDelete