Thursday, August 2, 2012

After the Gold Rush



No gold for me in Helen, but we had scheduled a week off after the race so I started the party before the awards banquet.  Since I wouldn't be making the honored trip to the podium for any end of the series award I had some adult beverage mixed in my Coke as soon as I got out of the shower.

The feeling of disappointment (failure) slipped further away with every sip.  I was looking forward to the Kid getting his award as well as the rest of the Higher Ground team, come to think of it I was the only team rider off the box.  Here, just take another sip, now that feels better doesn't it?

The awards banquet by Gone Riding was well run, with good food and plenty of bench racing.  The Kid scored some good swag and made some new friends as well.  He spends so much time riding with a bunch of old men, I know he enjoys hanging with riders more his own age.  After watching my class collect their awards they announced the Sportsman of the Year Award, and who do you think wins it?  Freaking FRSS and his lovely wife!  How's that for salt in the wound?  Guy hammers me like a nail and gets 2 awards!  I really thought I was nicer than him, apparently not faster, but at least nicer.*
                                 FRSS and Santa, this is the only view of Santa I had all season

After ice cream and chips, and doing some people watching in Helen, we hit the sack.  By the way if you ever go to Helen stop by Betty's store, it's the only place there worth the trip.

Monday we fought our way through the breakfast deal at the Hampton Inn, I swear some people believe someone follows them around just to clean up after them.  Then I was off for a morning of shopping for antiques with my lovely wife.  Jumping Goat Coffee was purchased in multiple flavors.



Lunch at The Troll in downtown Helen, good food, plus the added entertainment of watching the masses tubeing down the river that runs by the restaurant.  It appeared to be the same folks I ran into at breakfast multiplied by 50.  You could tell it was coming.  A large pack of tubers all floating together hits the first rocks.  They stop, and someone invariably gets out and stands up.  Tubes bunch up, standing person gets knocked down, tubes go over rocks without riders, kids cry, dads cuss, people get washed over the rocks without their tubes, and I laugh till I cry. 


After lunch we headed to Brevard N. C. where a cabin on a hill side awaited.  Tuesday we woke up in the land of OZ.


*Just kidding D.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment