Thursday, August 23, 2012

In My House of Pain

Why not just go trail ride in the mountains of North Georgia?  Why go race 50 miles?  It costs less to trail ride, I'll spend just as much time traveling, plus there would not be as much pain involved.  Why, at my level, should I put myself through the stress of racing.  There's no chance of a podium, in fact I'll be lucky if I beat my time from last year.  And speaking of last year I can still remember how much that last 10 miles hurt.



But there's something about experiencing the ride with 300 other riders.  Plus the preparation (however limited) keeps me from sitting on the porch drinking beer.


The pre race stress can even be a positive experience, it keeps me focused on a goal, well sort of.  Not to mention how cool the t-shirts look this year.







So I'm in for Fools Gold. Me, BJS, BW, and LBW will tackle it together this year.  Oh we won't be riding together, oh no.  BJS has been very busy downplaying his immense fitness leading up to this years event.  He posted a top 25 last year and I assume he plans to better that this year. 



He certainly has the legs for it.  I'm not falling for the excessive alcohol consumption and Mexican food.  He'll be like a bird dog just let out of the box on a cool crisp day.  Scratching the ground, sticking his nose in the air, peeing on the nearest bush, and then off on the hunt.




Whatever happens it should be a good day to be in the woods.  And what the heck, it's only 6 hours of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment