Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Can't Find My Way Home

"How much further?"

"Not too far." 

"No really, how much further?"

" Not too far."

"I'm going to kill you and leave you in these woods if you don't tell me how much further we have to go!"

"Well, you see, we kind of have to tack like a sail boat.  We just can't go straight back."

"I don't care about that!  I just want to take the most direct way home!"




I take full responsibility for the dissatisfaction with my planned route.  I had no idea the first section of clay road was going to be muddy.  He was on a %;; #  ;*# bike.  But this guy normally beats me up pretty bad so I wanted to make sure he got enough.  Mission accomplished!

We had the option to do the Dirty Spaghetti route but I really wanted to do this loop in Decatur Co. Ga.  I was soooo excited to be back on the CX bike on clay roads I could hardly sleep the night before.  The weather was as good as it gets in late August, blue sky's and mid 80's.  I had planned to haul the bike up to a better starting point since my riding partner wanted to make sure we got plenty of dirt on our route.  Then he calls the night before saying he was going to ride from his house.  Add that to the fact that he told me the day before we should be able to average 18 mph, and I felt like a wimp.   I can barely average 14 on clay roads, I just knew I was in for a butt whoopin.   I decided to ride from my house and meet him en route so as not to look like too much of an old fart.

Anyhoo, after 53 miles we found ourselves at the BP store in Attapulgus Ga.  Being the only white people, plus wearing Lycra, we became instant celebrities.  It was here while enjoying cokes and candy bars that we had the discussion above.

I had a longer ride planned but due to the constant whining I agreed to cut it short.  The clay on the roads after the first section was perfect and there was almost no traffic.

I'm sure I'll pay dearly for this.

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    I'm soooooo ready to ride the clay roads, again!

    And, I sooooo wish I had been there to witness BJS's meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one. I doubt I will ever see the day I make BJS beg for directions home. You guys just keep getting faster!

    ReplyDelete