Thursday, January 24, 2013

Big Meat

Photo cred. Zac
Saturday was supposed to be an hour of skills and then 1.5 hours of zone 2.  Ah, the OMTP is a wicked master.  I left the Higher Ground parking lot alone and rolled over to Cambodia to session the little rooty climb on the back side.  The coaches instructions were to ride a section that I was not smooth over and to keep riding it "till I rode it like a pro".  Now if I did that I'd still be there.  But I managed to make a little circle out of it, and the next climb, and got to where I could get through it.  It's funny though the more you do something over and over the harder it seems to get.





I crossed the road to Red Bug and bumped into Paul who was down with a little skills work, so we sessioned some more rooty sections until I fell over.  We then just rode the normal Torture Loop before heading back to HG.

 
 
 
Once back at the shop I was hungry even after downing a bottle of Endurox recovery drink.  I could smell the pizza at Momos.  I tried to resist but it was futile.  I brought the huge slice back to the shop.  That's when Ryan mentioned that the beer keg was full and cold.  Once again my resistance was low and I poured myself a glass.  The pizza was loaded with all kinds of pork products (hey, that's like a paleo diet right?) and loaded with cheese.  My mouth's watering now just thinking about it.  The beer went down like spring water.

Unfortunately apparently beer and Endurox don't mix well, as I soon discovered.  I had a company function to attend in a couple of hours, complete with a full prime rib dinner, and more beer. 

I won't go into the details here, suffice to say it wasn't a pleasant evening for me.  My stomach moved around like a scene from Alien.  I was not in a happy place.

Photo cred. Zac
Sunday morning came quick.  When the crew schedules rides they tend not to care that I have 30 minuets more to travel than they do.  That's the cross I bear for the pleasure of living in Beautiful Downtown Havana.  Anyhoo, I made the 9 am roll time from Joe's with seconds to spare.  I always whine about riding my CX bike through Tallahassee but this ride took me places I'd never been.  Very little dirt but still quite enjoyable.  However I utterly failed to keep my tempo up to the prescribed level.  It was such a beautiful day and the company was so pleasant I just got lost in the ride.
Big Worm lets me have the finish at San Felasco.  Unlike last year.  The kid rolls his first 50 in 2013.

This will probably be the reason I get stomped in the Georgia Series this year, but every now and then you've just got to say; what the heck.





No comments:

Post a Comment