Friday, January 11, 2013

Little Pink Houses

 
Southwood, where the houses aren't little or pink.  A planned subdivision on the south side of Tallahassee it has a little bit of everything.  Sort of an engineered small town.  You could live in Beautiful Downtown Havana and have the real thing.  We rolled through there on the nature trail (no, Havana doesn't have one of those) on the way to Munson from Tom Brown.  I wonder what some of these folks do for a living who live in these upper class neighborhoods.  Anyhoo it was a good ride on a winters day.

As prescribed by the OMTP I needed to put in 1.5 hours of moderate pedaling last Tuesday so I decided to do what I call the Quincy loop.  It's mostly paved with a short clay road section so I took the cross bike.  I was just riding along on the bike path next to state road 12 when a brown Yukon blew past me inches from my left elbow.  He was actually IN the bike lane.  I yelled, gave him the traditional salute, and pulled off the road shaking.  I had the first two digits of his tag and called the sheriff's office.  They patched me through to the Highway Patrol.  By this time I felt like I might be overreacting and apologized to the dispatcher.  She was nice about it and said she would've called if it had been her.  She even called me later to say they had not seen the truck in the area.  I don't like riding on the road.

As far as the OMTP goes she has me spending 3 days a week in the gym.  I am getting seriously buff if I do say so myself.  On the bike she is very adamant about staying in the prescribed heart rate zones.  I tend to want to do more and worry that I'm not getting enough high end work in.  Especially when my cohorts are out doing intervals every other day.  Not to mention the temptations of Strava.  But I gotta keep the faith.

This weekend is the 50/62 mile San Felasco ride.  I'm not as enthused about it as I used to be.  There's 400 riders of all types of abilities on the trail so it makes for some slow going at times.  Once again the plan has me staying in the lower heart rate zones so I'll be one of the slow ones.  The Kid is going, he's been off the bike while playing basketball so he should be seriously suffering by mile 30.  I guess I really shouldn't complain, heck it's going to be 80 degrees, and I get to ride my bike all day.  At least I don't have to worry about getting run over by a Yukon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment