Friday, November 22, 2013

Retire?

 
 
I'm saving for it.  I have vague plans on what I want to do if and when I finally get to do it.  It's not something I am longing for, at least not at the present time.

Of course there's more than one retirement in our futures.  No?  Think about it just a minute.

I've already retired from motorcycle racing (maybe).  Big Jim has asked me a couple of times about retiring from the Havana Volunteer Fire Department.  "I bet there's not too many 57 year old firefighters out there" said Jim.  Statements like that make me feel so good.  There's retiring from bicycle racing, hopefully a long ways off, but you never know.  Then of course there's my job.

Timing

Why would you quit something you enjoy?  Just because "people" might think I'm too old to do some of this stuff?  Afraid I might look foolish?  I have plenty of experience looking foolish.  I guess when my participation becomes a burden on others it might be time to hang it up.  I hope I realize that moment when it comes.  Some would say it's already passed.

I attended a retirement party for a gentleman, who works in my industry, this past week.  He's my age and due to circumstances beyond his control he thought it would be a good time to get out.  As I looked around the room I realized I was one of the "old dudes".  Funny, it seems like just last week I didn't fit in because I was new.

My dentist, who is my age, was looking a little pudgy when I saw him for my 6 month check up.  He used to be a big runner and always kept in shape.  I commented on his now plus size figure (after the check up, didn't want to piss him off while he was poking around in my mouth with those sharp instruments).  He replied that he was "done" with that, that he'd "given up" and how "peaceful" he felt.  I told him he may feel peaceful, but he looked fat.  I bet I'll need a root canal on my next visit.

I had one of my few subscribers comment to me that "all you write about is being old".  Sorry, but it's the one thing I know a little about.  If you're older than me you're probably thinking "he's got a lot to learn", which is true.  And no, I don't really think I'm old.  I just look it.

CX

Anyhoo, back to cycling related matters.  Last Saturday was a hard effort of 45 minutes on Gators.  I had hoped for an improvement in my average lap speed but was disappointed.  I was not disappointed with the beer and pizza at Momos later that day.

Sunday was the Giant demo day at Tom Brown.  Lots of people, lots of laps, and a couple of hard crashes.  Not me, it was Wrecking Ball down first, with a loud splat.  Then The Kid rolled up with blood on his arm.  Neither was seriously hurt.

Wednesday nights' Gator session was 3-15 minute intervals, and for some reason, they were the same average speed as Saturdays 45 minute session.  I just can't seem to push myself into the red zone, even for shorter intervals.  I do enjoy having a few more people there though, it gives me some carrots to chase.

Plans are for another Saturday effort at Gators.  10:00 am. 

Hopefully followed by an interval at Momos.  Now that's something I hope I never have to retire from.

2 comments:

  1. You don't see a lot of 50 year old guys playing drums in bars either. If I can do something well and enjoy it, I am going to do it. Age has nothing to do with anything. People that make it an issue are the ones that want to feel better about quitting.
    Keep doing what you want...you dusty gray haired old BASTARD!

    ReplyDelete