Friday, August 15, 2014

Hard To Swallow

"Just a little more to the left, ahhh that's it"

So this past week Lil Ball has accompanied me on my OMTP rides.  Hill repeats Tuesday followed by 20 minute intervals Thursday.  He's young and a past expert, but has been off the bike lately.  I figured I might be able to keep him in sight on Tuesday.  That lasted about one quarter of the way up the first hill when he easily motored by.

We did 6 of these and I was never able to get close.  But having someone to chase did make me push harder than just doing it by myself.  Still.

Thursday

The Kid joined us tonight for 20 minute intervals, all on the MTB, (as were the Tuesday hill repeats).  My legs felt dead from the start of the first effort.  Do you know how aggravating it is to have two riders glued to your rear wheel while you do everything you can to shake them?  On the last interval Lil Ball went around me and proceeded to disappear into the trees.  I know they're both younger (well a lot younger) but I really don't like these "wake up calls".

When I asked what I needed to do to improve all I got was "turn better".  And just how do I do that? Should it even bother me?  I had a great time riding the intervals, the hill repeats, maybe not so much.  I'm fortunate to be able to just get out here.  All of us are.  So why worry about turning speed?  After all, I got to spend 3 hours with The Kid.  Who, by the way, gives me a look that can only be described as pity when he goes by me now.

Both of these guys have so much cycling ahead of them, so many options, while my own option pool seems to be getting a little shallow.  Poor poor pitiful me.  I've really got it bad don't I?  Not.


Coming Up

The 31st is the 8 Hours of  Labor MTB race at San Felasco.  I think Dr. S-works and I are going to team up.  It'll be a good opportunity to hone in my feeding and hydration on the bike.  Then it's the Tallahassee XC race, which should be humbling.  Followed by Fools Gold.  Then cross season starts, which takes me through till winter, then the whole thing starts all over again.  Man I love a good routine!

Aren't you proud of me?  I got through this whole ditty without using: anyhoo, Beautiful Downtown Havana, or The Lovely Wife.  Plus I'm going to put this crap back on FB so my Mom can read it.  My list of subscribers is rather small.  See ya on the next page.

1 comment: