Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Broken

I was so looking forward to a couple of long MTB rides this past weekend.  Everything was looking good until Friday evening.  As I was finishing up a lap of Root Bug the Cannondale started creaking, bad.  I could feel the top shock mount vibrate every time it moved.  Not a good sign.

So I had to ignore the group texts about rides for Saturday and headed to HG as soon as they opened.  Seems both the bearing and the shock mount were toast.  Of course no one would keep something like that in stock.  Cannondale wasn't open on Saturday so I would have to wait till Tuesday to find out if I was going to be able to race the following weekend in Chattanooga.

Note to self: just go ahead and replace ALL the bearings on the race bike on an annual basis.  On my moto if the top shock mount bearing failed I replaced the bottom also.  Just makes sense.  My suspension needs servicing but that would mean taking the bike out of service for weeks, don't need that here at the end of the season.  So I came up with a solution.

New Bike!

I know it's a rationalization but I really need two MTBs.  After all, most of my friends have two (at least).  So after shopping I settled on a Santa Cruz Tall Boy.  Kind of a mid grade build, nothing fancy.  I can race it if I have to.  Mostly it's for something different and to keep hours off the race bike.  I am selling my road bike and one of Blakes' MTB.  Plus his road bike (I'm keeping the money, he doesn't know this yet) and hope to recoup most of the cost of the new bike.

Racing?

It looks like the shop will have my race bike ready Friday.  Just in time for me to race it in the rain Sunday.  I really like the trail in Chattanooga, it drains well and is fun.  Blakes' going so it will make for a fun weekend.  Plus we have Monday off!

My fitness is good.  My weight finally started to come back down (I'd still like to lose some more).  I had my bi-annual physical and everything was good except for my cholesterol, which was up just a little.  Not enough for meds but enough for her to scold me about my weekend beers.  

Some things just make life fun though.

No comments:

Post a Comment