Monday, November 7, 2011

Go Hawder






We got there at 9:15 on a cold, clear, windy morning last Saturday. B was going to race the Juniors class which was supposed to start at 10:00. I expected to see cars lined up at the gate to get in, I was nervous we might be late to get signed up and get him warmed up. When we rolled into the parking lot and only saw one car I thought we had the wrong day. Welcome to our first experience with Cyclocross racing. Race in the front, party in the back. After getting yelled at by the occupants of that lone car for parking in the wrong spot (they were parked under a tree 50 yards from the track) we made our way toward what we hoped was sign up.



Yes, we were the first to sign up, and no, there were no other Juniors. That'll be $64 thank you. Ok, a little steep but that covered two classes for B, one for me, and two one day racing licences. We walked back to unload.














Could we ride practice? Which way does the track go? It all was very low key, so low key in fact I wondered if there was really going to be a race at all. Finally a couple of riders in FSU kits started to ride so we jumped out behind them. The track consisted of some grass field, straight woods roads, a little bit of pavement, and one man made obstacle that you had to dismount and run your bike over. Not very challenging on my MTB but B said it was interesting on his borrowed cross bike.




The promoters let B run with the collegiate Men's B race, that made for three of them in that race. Notice the crowds in the picture below. B finished that close to the leader to get 2nd. I know, he only beat one guy but still. He was worn out but he got a nice stocking cap for 2nd.







Finally people started to roll in about 11:00. My first race and B's second, the Men's C class, started at 12:15. Almost everybody we normally ride with was on the line. I admit I thought I could at least get top 5 out of 17. But I didn't know what to expect as far as suffering goes. At least there weren't any logs to cross.





It was all over in the longest 34 minutes of my short racing career. It reminded me of Zac's dirty thirties, max heart rate from the start, no rest, and no podium. B was wondering why in the heck I had signed him up for two races when I only was riding one. Hey, it was for his own good. I got 6th.



I have a long way to go to get to the level these roadies are at as far as pedaling fitness goes. I can't even play the age card since Mr. A beat me and he's 61. That does give me some hope though that there's still some time to improve.



The best part of the race was listening to the crew yell at other racers (and each other). This, crew, group, pack, or whatever you want to call them, are funny. The crap they come up with is, well, you really have to hear some of it to appreciate it. At the end of the day I had another perfect day to look back on. I've been fortunate to have quite a few of those lately.




We went back again Sunday for more abuse. Not as many crew riders there as Saturday. The course was changed to make it faster. I wasn't as pumped to race as I was the day before and B was showing signs of being tired also. Out of the 12 in the Men's C, B got 6th, and I got 7th. Yea he beat me. He's beaten my times in a XC race before but I think this is the first time he's beaten me in a heads up race. Anyhoo I'm proud of him.



I don't think I'll be buying a CX bike but I do think a couple of road bikes are in our future. I'd race this race again if it comes back next year just for the laughs. Mr A taught me a few things and got me fired up to improve my pedaling fitness.



That should be it for the racing until the Gone Riding Georgia State Series starts in April. Before that there's the Tour of San Felasco in January and the Amsterdam Ride (maybe race) in February.






Yes, that's a cupcake wrapper someone left in my shoe, complete with icing and sprinkles.

1 comment: