Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Back At It










2012, sounds like something out of a science fiction movie. But it's here, like it or not. My mind's still back in 2004 or there abouts. I keep thinking 1986 was just 10 years ago. I know; it makes no sense to me either.



I was fortunate enough to be able to take the last two weeks of 2011 off. When you've worked at one place for 25 years you should get some perks. Anyhoo, except for a rest day, T's birthday, and a couple of days for Christmas, I pedaled my bikes every day.



It started with a ride from Piney Z to Munson using an old paved driveway that at one time led to the Piney Z plantation owner's house. For the next day my journal just says "off- bourbon and sugar cookies". The day after that was a single speed ride on clay roads where I learned how hard it was to outrun dogs on a single speed, that night I did the Higher Ground ride. Then it was on to the sewage and trailer park ride, again with BJS and others. That had me and my precious Felt hanging from a chain link fence over Munson Slough (which carries the treated waste water from the city of Tallahassee) and wondering how I would tell T where to come pick me up after I popped. We capped that day off with pizza and beer at Zone 5.



The week after Christmas was much of the same, sleep late, make waffles, and ride. I did borrow a CX bike from Higher Ground and convinced BJS to go with me on a road ride to Quincy. I was hooked and after buying him a very expensive beer at Joanie's in beautiful downtown Havana he rode home, while I made plans to buy another bike.



The last weekend of 2011, and it was time for something special. I have no idea where we went. I know I carried my bike along the edge of a ravine, climbed through two fences, climbed over one fence, trespassed, and went under I-10 using a concrete culvert. Good times!








The first day of 2012 was spent at Forest Meadows on our bikes, trying to run each other off the trail, throw moss, and just generally acting like children. My side hurt from laughing.







I have no idea what BW is doing to Lil Ball in this picture, but it looks like he likes it.


I'm begining the route lay out for the Amsterdam Tour. The event date is March 3, 2012. I need to limit it to 50 entries due to the food deal. I think the 32 riders we had last year enjoyed the ride. I know BW liked the food. I have the option of making it 50 miles this year; what do you think? Did 30 seem like enough? Do you think there's enough interest in doing the event again? I plan to arrow it better since it seems some folks have a hard time following ribbon. I can even make it a race if there's enough interest.



Ain't life grand?



1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed both of our weekend rides! Great way to transition the years.

    ReplyDelete