Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Hammock








Yea, I wimped out on the 62 mile option at the San Felasco mountain bike ride last weekend. The split was at the top of a power line climb at mile 45, I had been working hard, and just caught Lil Ball (LB) and Big Tony (BT). I just couldn't make myself do it, but I have a story as to why.



My plan earlier that day had been to conserve my legs (and butt) by stopping at every sag to eat a little and stretch. At the sag after lunch at about mile 38, but before the 50/62 split, I stopped for another half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, as I took my first bite I noticed Big Worm (BW) and the rest of the crew had kept on rolling. The chase was on.



I caught Wrecking Ball first then Derwood (pushing his bike, cramps). I could see Big Worm and Lil Wrecking Ball (LWB) across a field as they started into the woods. I had left B on the dusty trail after lunch and was just wondering how he was doing when my cell phone rang. As a parent you never stop worrying about your kid, I heard it go to voice mail. I wondered if I should stop, then I looked up just in time to see the life flight helicopter go by. Aw crap. It was about this time I passed BW and LWB. As I came out on the power line I ran into LB and BT. We climbed up to the 50/62 split sag together. It was there I yanked out my phone and listened to the voice mail. BW rolled right on by and onto the split that headed for the 50 mile finish.



Well B was just calling me because he had gotten confused at the last sag about which way to go but he figured it out. At that time I was tired, my elbows were sore, and BW was just ahead. I let BT and LB go on the 62 mile split and took off after BW. I told myself to remember how I felt at that moment so later after a couple of beers I wouldn't beat myself up for bailing.



I caught BW and we rolled back to the finish together (well almost). Everybody else made it in in one piece. The Magnificent Big Jim rolled most of the 62 mile ride at a blistering pace and therefore did not have any bearing on my story. If he keeps this up I'll stop mentioning him all together. LWB did a great job on his first 50, dropping back at 42 miles out but still finishing not long after BW and I. When you look around you don't see too many 14-19 year olds riding this event. I'm proud of both of our juniors.



Anyhoo 50 miles wasn't bad for an old man and I still had a little in the tank for a road ride the next day. This years San Felasco seemed so much easier and much more fun than last years.



It's hard to imagine but both the juniors could drive down by themselves next year. Wow, and it was just last year I felt I had to follow B in from the lunch sag when it was his first 50. Time flies, but it's these kind of days that make the flight worth it.

3 comments: