Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My First Time

Photo courtesy Big Worm



On a road ride, and I liked it. We rolled from Zone 5 in Tallahassee Fl. on a clear Saturday, temps were in the mid 60s, perfect. Big Worm was to be my teacher in the ways of the roadie. I have to admit I was nervous. Stories of being yelled at for the slightest error by a bunch of testosterone fueled cyclists had me gripping the bars like it was a race. I did get yelled at but they let me go awhile before they started the corrections.





"Mr. Norman! Get on that wheel!" Was the first thing I heard as we tooled along two abreast while cars impatiently zipped past. The white line was to my right and BW was off my left handlebar, about 4 inches off. It seemed like I was already too close to the rider in front of me, what, you want me to get closer? "You have to trust the guy in front of you." I don't even know the guy in front of me, if he sneezes I'll be on him. Just relax I told myself, you'll never make the end of the ride like this.





Speaking of the "end of the ride". No one but Mr. Silk knew how long we were going to ride. It was a surprise to everybody when we headed for Monticello, which would end up being about 70 miles and 4 hours round trip. Steve A. and Lil Ball both stated that they wouldn't have signed on if they'd known. Sissies! I thought to myself early in the ride. I could go like this for days! Of course that ended up being soooo wrong.





They told me I didn't have to "pull" on this ride. In roadie talk this just means be in the front. Well Silk and I were discussing some up coming rides and before I knew it we were "pulling". I could immediately feel the difference, especially with the head wind. So I got down in the drops (isn't my use of roadie talk impressive?) and pedaled harder. Silk and I continued our discussion unaware of the turmoil my blistering pace was causing behind me. I heard BW holler "Norman, move over!" I assumed I was going too fast for them, but that wasn't it.





Seems I was weaving all over my side of the road. Truth is I was so glad not the be hemmed in on both sides, I was like a dog off the leash. Unfortunately that made if difficult for the rider behind me to stay in the draft. I asked Silk what was wrong to which he replied "Just some roadie sh#*." Indeed.

About that time I started to get tired, my butt hurt, and my arms were getting a little numb. Then the Shankanator got on the front. I quickly learned why I needed to stay on the wheel of the guy in front of me. Man it was like I couldn't get close enough! Finally he pulled off into his neighborhood and the pace dropped back to almost bearable.

We got split up near the end of the ride with people doing their own little sprints. Lil Ball herded me close to Zone 5 and then went his own way home. I still managed to get turned around but ended up seeing Mo Mo's Pizza so I knew where I was.

After the ride my lovely wife T and I ended up at Oscars in beautiful downtown Havana. Sitting outside in front of the fireplace. A cold Peroni beer, a plate of chicken Parmesan with hot bread, under the stars, what a great way to end the day.




I'm ready for the next one!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, look at that pic. You in between Tim and Ric. In case you didn't know, you were apart of an awesome sandwich. If you ever forget how incredible those two guys are just ask them.

    ReplyDelete