Friday, August 27, 2010

A Taste?


It was almost in the air last night. On the back side of Twilight following two other riders I noticed it didn't feel as hot as it had last time TC and I rode this stretch. Could it be? Has summer lost it's death grip? I wasn't the only one to notice as others mentioned it when we got back to the trail head. I'm almost afraid to hope.


I saw something out there last night that I'd never seen before. At least I think I saw it. At first it sounded like geese honking and I thought, "now that's not right there's no geese out here in the wiregrass". I asked the other guys if they'd heard anything but they didn't answer; we just kept pedaling.


I looked around and across the gas line I saw at least 5 people dressed in gray camo running in the same direction (away from us fortunately) and I swear they were making that honking noise. I again hollered at the other two riders but got no response.


As we crossed the gas line a solid black Dodge pickup came out of the woods fast and headed into the woods on the other side of the gas line. This area is vehicle restricted so I have no idea what was going on out there. Nobody else seemed to think any of this was strange as if people run through the woods making goose noises all the time.


Anywhooo it was a good group to ride with, a good pace, and plenty of mileage. We got back to the trail head just as it was getting too dark for me to see easily. We even enjoyed a beer together before we headed home.
But I know what I saw out there!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, guys running through the woods wearing grey pajamas and honking like geese you say. Are you sure that you didn't partake in the beer before the ride. Just kidding, I've seem some weird stuff out there over the years. Hope you are right about cooler weater comming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The National Guard and the local ROTC groups run exercises out there all the time. If you know where to look, they even have bunkers dug into the sand hills. We were doing time trials out there many years ago, and I came around a blind corner at mach 6, and nearly took out a high school kid with a dummy M-16, in full marching gear. I guess he found the walking easier on the trail. Unfortunately, he clearly wasn't expecting a 230lb guy running full tilt, to come barreling around the corner. Judging from the look on his face, he may have wet himself.

    ReplyDelete