Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Am I Done With This?


In an effort to "give back" something to my fellow man I searched for something I thought I had a talent for that would benefit others and I came up with firefighting. Way back in the dark ages (the 70s) I fought forest fires for the state. It was a fun job and they trained us to also fight structure fires. So fast forward to 1996 and even though I was (am) considered old I signed up to volunteer in my cities fire department. The training was minimal until the county required we take state certified firefighter training, since then the level of service we provide our communities has improved.


All this brings me to yesterday and another vehicle crash with a fatality. You see making a rescue run while the adrenalin is pumping and there is a possibility of saving a life is one thing but waiting 3 hours for FHP homicide to document the scene so you can remove a body is nerve racking. As I sat on the tailgate of the fire truck and contemplated the job ahead I wondered "am I done with this?". The jury is still out.


On a brighter note I went for a 6 mile run yesterday afternoon to clear my head. It was hot but the music on my MP3 was good and there was a nice breeze in certain areas. Sometimes after a day like that I really appreciate a good cold brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment